Web This Site

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Daytime Emmys disappointing

Commentary with a Co-Ed
by Ashley Gouveia


Friday night was one I had been waiting for all year. The Daytime Emmys is the night when all the daytime divas, male and female, get together and honor the best. This is my favorite awards show, because besides being a huge primetime TV junkie, I am also a daytime addict. I am a girl who grew up watching and hearing about Bo and Hope and Luke and Laura. The Emmys was the show I could always count on to be fun and entertaining.

However, this year I was a little disappointed. The parts of the show that I loved were taken out and replaced. For instance, what happened to the music videos that they use to put together for the nominees for Outstanding Drama? They replaced them with videos of fans talking about why they love the show. It was bad enough that General Hospital wasn’t nominated and now they took my favorite part of the show. I hope they fix that next year.

I think my favorite part of the show was after 31 years Laura Webber Baldwin Spencer, a.k.a. Genie Francis, finally got her Emmy. Yay, Laura!! Come on, the woman started on General Hospital when she was 14, not to mention a daytime icon. It’s about time! Unfortunately, her counterpart Anthony Geary didn’t take home the award for Lead Actor. I demand a recount!

Another loss that I was really surprised about was The View’s. I was so sure that this was going to be the year that the ladies took it home. The addition of Rosie O’Donnell to the panel was the best thing that the show has done. I have never watched more episodes of The View then when Rosie was on. Like Ellen DeGeneres said in her acceptance speech, Rosie added so much to the show. She was hysterical. I laughed out loud every morning watching her.

Hopefully next year the Daytime Emmys will bring back the fun with the music vids and lay off the awkward backstage interviews. The actors always seem uncomfortable answering some not so interesting questions from a nervous interviewer. Poor Lisa Rinna.

My Hits and Misses of the night:

HITS:
-Genie Francis and Anthony Geary present an award together

-Ric Hearst wins for Best Supporting Actor ( I love to hate GH’s Ric Lansing.)

-Bob Barker Palooza! (I’m going to miss Bob, Plinko won’t be the same without him!)

MISSES:
-Julie Berman losing for Best Younger Actress in a Drama Series

-Tyra and Elmo (Did they even rehearse?)

-Kim Zimmer losing for Lead Actress in a Drama Series (Her portrayal with Reva’s breast cancer deserved an Emmy!)

3 comments:

tube talk girl said...

I thought Julie Berman was robbed!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you did an article on the Daytime Emmys because they are so overlooked. I am so glad Genie Francis won and not just because she is married to Commander Riker a.k.a Jonathan Frakes!

tube talk girl said...

Yes, and it's too bad. A lot of great talent has come from daytime: Brad Pitt, Alec Baldwin, Josh Duhamel, Marisa Tomei,etc...it's too bad daytime actors have such a stigma.

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk