Web This Site

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

I’m going to Hollywood, baby!…(well, sort of)

by Jennifer Squires Biller

So it’s not really Hollywood, but it’s close. As I reported earlier, the movie We Are Marshall, starring Matthew McConaughey, Matthew Fox, David Strathairn and Ian McShane is filming here. The film is about the Marshall University football program and the effort to rebuild it and the community, when a plane carrying the team, coaches and supporters crashed, killing all 75 aboard in 1970.

Back in March, I auditioned, with more than 1,300 other hopeful wannabes, to work as an extra on the film. I received a call last week from casting that they want me on set Wednesday. Woo HOO! I’m not sure if this is some kind of fluke or if Warner Bros. has run out of talent. Nevertheless, I’m game.

I’m supposed to show up on set with my hair in rollers at 4:30 a.m. Yikes! There are only a few things in this world I’d get up at 3 a.m. to do and this is one of them. I’m to report to hair, makeup and wardrobe when I get there. The nice casting lady told me to be prepared to work 12-14 hours, to wear nude-colored undergarments and to bring any vintage 1970s clothing I had. Done, done and done. I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille.

I’ve always wanted to be an extra, just to see how a motion picture is made. Apparently, the scenes being filmed on Wednesday are of folks going into the stadium and people at a press conference. Maybe I’ll get to put my five years of experience as a newspaper reporter to good use and be cast as a member of the press, or maybe I’ll just be a fan in the stands. It doesn’t matter. It’s a paycheck, and it’s a major motion picture. (Don’t tell Warner Bros. Pictures, but I’d do it for free, just to get the chance to be a part of this inspirational story.)

Wish me luck. I’m off to Hollywood, er Huntington. Move over Reese Witherspoon. That Oscar is so mine next year!

Tube Talk Girl can be reached by e-mail at jennifer@tube-talk.com, if she’s not too busy signing autographs or claiming her star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

6 comments:

TVFan said...

Congrats on getting the extra role! That's very exciting. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the role. Pleae touch Matt for me!

Anonymous said...

How exciting! How I envy you! I wish I had your looks and guts to even attempt to try out. I'll look for you at the Oscars. Make sure you fill us all in when you get back.

Lea said...

sososo jealous. has mr. tubetalk given his blessing for you to jump matthew should the opportunity arise?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's great. My best friend will be jealous as she claims that Matthew is secretly seeing HER. ;)

tube talk girl said...

Thanks everyone for your support. You guys are so cool!

TVGirl, it was a lot of "hurry up and wait" but it was all worth it at the end of the day.

RAE - tell your friend, "it's on!" lol

leapea - Mr. Tube Talk did not give his blessing, but he said he wasn't worried, as he contends that he, and not Matthew, is in fact the "sexiest man alive." :)

Copyright 2007 Tube Talk